What happened to TN2124?
John Hawkinson
2011-07-04 23:16:07 UTC
I'm sorry if this isn't the best place to ask (redirect appreciated).

What happened to Apple Tech Note TN2124, Mac OS X Debugging Magic
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/tn2004/tn2124.html
? It seems to have been gone for a few weeks.

That URL now redirects to http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/navigation/.

It had a wealth of information and is extremely valuable. I find myself
using it with some regularity. (There are several google-able mirrors,
and I have a saved copy, but...)

Thanks. And happy July 4 to those of you in the US!

--***@mit.edu
John Hawkinson
Andy Lee
2011-07-05 01:44:49 UTC
Funny, I was just about to ask the same thing as I was looking for that page myself.

Googling for "debugging magic site:developer.apple.com" turns up TN2124 as the first hit, as it should -- but the link is broken. As John says, it redirects to the main reference page.

The second search result is TN2239, which is the iOS counterpart of TN2124. It conveniently contains a link to TN2124 -- which turns out to be the same broken link I had previously tried.

I've been getting an unsettling feeling lately, like things are breaking down rather than coming together in the world of docs. It seems I run into a lot more broken links than I should. I wonder if they are unusually understaffed lately.

I don't mind putting up with some transitional pain if there is some structural change. For example, if there is an old page in the docs that doesn't have an exact counterpart in the latest docs, I don't mind being redirected to the right general area. But all too often I find myself at http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/navigation/.

TN2124 is a standalone doc. There's no reason for it to disappear, especially when the iOS docs still link to it. Google doesn't even have a cached version. The nearest I can find is a Japanese version.

Am I missing some announcement or release note that would explain this?

--Andy
John Hawkinson
2011-07-05 01:53:00 UTC
http://web.archive.org/web/20101206131250/http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#/web/20101113130453/http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2004/tn2124.html

--***@mit.edu
John Hawkinson
Kyle Sluder
2011-07-05 03:11:54 UTC
Post by John Hawkinson
I'm sorry if this isn't the best place to ask (redirect appreciated).
What happened to Apple Tech Note TN2124, Mac OS X Debugging Magic
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/tn2004/tn2124.html
? It seems to have been gone for a few weeks.
It doesn't render correctly, and nobody's gotten around to fixing it,
so it got auto-retired: https://devforums.apple.com/message/472290

File a bug asking for it to come back.

--Kyle Sluder
jerry porter
2011-07-05 03:30:52 UTC
How about:
http://george.insideiphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/mac-os-x-debugging-magic-tn2124.pdf

Jerry Porter

- - -
When told the reason for daylight saving time the old Indian said ...

"Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket."
- - -
- - -
Seen on a T-shirt: "Remember you are unique and special... Just like everyone else"
- - -
- - -
I Hate puppies; They poop and then sit on your lap
- - -

________________________________

--Kyle Sluder
John Hawkinson
2011-07-05 04:26:14 UTC
Thank you, Kyle.

I understand from offline discussion that it's best for everyone who
cares to go to http://bugreport.apple.com and file a bug (which will
then be duped into the master bug tracking this, but will be a show of
interest/priority that will make this more likely to happen).

Andy, would you do so as well? [I have done so.]

Thank you.

--***@mit.edu
John Hawkinson
Andy Lee
2011-07-07 12:24:41 UTC
Sorry, I've been swamped. I just filed rdar://9736420.

I also submitted a documentation bug at <http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2239/_index.html>, using the "It's good, but..." link at the bottom. I pointed out that the iOS doc links more than once to TN2124.

Thanks to all for the alternate links for getting TN2124.

--Andy