How to develop the safari plugin ?
j***@sina.com
2009-10-27 01:39:47 UTC
 Now  I want to develop a safari plugin with SIMBL, And I think the
steps were : a) generate a bundle loaded the SIMBL project , and
implement a method  - load for the loaded method of plugin , and I
have implemented it . b) class-dump some methods of safari framework ,
and generate a headfile. c) add the headfile and override those
methods and get some DOM objects .  My plugin will attend to get the
flash URL with safari page when it lanuched. But Now I have some
problems : one is Which framework and class I can select to get the
point . I use the command-line utility : class- dump and use the
command :
/Applications/class-dump -e /System/Library/Frameworks/
WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit > WebKit.h
But I didn't generate a file with WebKit.h. And I used another
command:
/Applications/class-dump -H /System/Library/Frameworks/
WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit > WebKit.h
But I have few hundreds of files included the file WebKit.h , But it
is empty. I still didn't know which methods or files I can select?
Tow is when I generate a headfile , I will add it in my project , and
How to use it for posing or method swizzing ? I really the greenhand
of class-dump and developping SIMBL plugin , can Someone give me some
Ian Levesque
2009-10-27 02:42:53 UTC
This is an open source example of a Safari "plugin" of the sort you
describe:

http://code.google.com/p/safariblock/

Read through their code and try to see the strategies they use:

http://code.google.com/p/safariblock/source/browse/#svn/trunk

-Ian
Post by j***@sina.com
[...]
code demo  or advice ? Thank you very much!!!
Christiaan Hofman
2009-10-27 12:32:38 UTC
Post by j***@sina.com
[...]
You don't need class-dump, WebKit as well as its plugin architecture
are fully documented in the Xcode documentation. Even the
implementation of WebKit is available because it's open source,
however there's almost certainly no need to dive into that.

Christiaan
John Joyce
2009-10-27 19:08:12 UTC
Post by Christiaan Hofman
Post by j***@sina.com
[...]
SIMBL should no longer be used.
SIMBL uses input managers. This is no longer supported in Snow Leopard.
Reason: SIMBL plugins cause a lot of pain to supporting Safari because
they were too hidden and frequently caused problems with Safari updates.
Scott Anguish
2009-10-28 06:05:12 UTC
Simbl is a third party hack.

and it isn’t appropriate for discussion on this list.
Francis Devereux
2009-10-28 12:40:07 UTC
Post by Scott Anguish
Simbl is a third party hack.
and it isn’t appropriate for discussion on this list.
that says that only Apple-supported APIs can be discussed on this
list. In fact, it says "As long as your question is specific to Mac
OS X development, you're in the right place.".

I can understand why discussion of non-Apple-supported techniques is
banned on lists hosted by Apple, but I do think that discussion of
unsupported techniques can be valuable and this list seems like a good
place to do it. I don't have a problem with people saying "you
shouldn't do that" but I think that saying "you can't even discuss
that" is taking things too far.

Francis
Andrew Abernathy
2009-10-29 21:38:55 UTC
It's already been touched on, but to make it explicit (or more
explicit than any posts I've seen come across so far): this was a
mistake on Scott's part. In addition to contributing to multiple lists
(among other resources), Scott moderates cocoa-dev (and others?),
which as an Apple list has stricter restrictions than we do, and he
got a couple of messages crossed between lists.

I got email from Scott yesterday apologizing after he realized his
mistake, but I didn't address it with the list as I'm not the person
who normally deals with moderation here and I hadn't determined the
appropriate way to address it. (That person is in fact unavailable at
the moment.)

Without touching on whether or not you _should_ use Simbl or speculate
on Apple's position on Carbon, it is at least generally acceptable to
discuss those topics here on macosx-dev. (But obviously, do please try
to keep it civil.)

--
Andrew Abernathy
The Omni Group
John Joyce
2009-10-28 19:36:54 UTC
Subject: Re: [moderator] Re: How to develop the safari plugin ?
Post by Scott Anguish
Simbl is a third party hack.
and it isn’t appropriate for discussion on this list.
that says that only Apple-supported APIs can be discussed on this
list. In fact, it says "As long as your question is specific to Mac
OS X development, you're in the right place.".
I can understand why discussion of non-Apple-supported techniques is
banned on lists hosted by Apple, but I do think that discussion of
unsupported techniques can be valuable and this list seems like a
good place to do it. I don't have a problem with people saying "you
shouldn't do that" but I think that saying "you can't even discuss
that" is taking things too far.
Francis
Just don't use SIMBL. Seriously.
also,
see webkitsdk-dev list
http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/webkitsdk-dev
it's a more appropriate place to go, as you're not going to get
anything better on cocoa-dev for this, and you probably won't on
webkitsdk-dev either.

Consult the documentation on
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/InternetWeb/Conceptual/WebKit_PluginProgTopic/Concepts/AboutPlugins.html
Matt Neuburg
2009-10-29 18:07:23 UTC
and it isn‚t appropriate for discussion on this list.
What a fantastic superpower - moderate any mailing list! How can I get that?
(Currently my superpower is the ability to freeze things, and it doesn't
even work without a freezer.) m.
--
matt neuburg, phd = ***@tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!
http://www.tidbits.com/matt/default.html#applescriptthings
Scott Anguish
2009-10-29 19:31:25 UTC
Matt

I apologized to the poster, and to Omni. it was an error. I’m sure you’re unfamiliar with them.

There was zero need for you act like this about it. it didn’t involved you.