Multiple Selection in NSComboBoxCell
Abhijeet Singh
2012-02-02 11:22:57 UTC
Hi,There are 5 columns in my table view.Col1 Non editable, Col2 NSComboBoxCell (editable), Col3 NSComboBoxCell (editable), Col4 NSComboBoxCell (editable), Col5 NSButtonCellMy requirement is in one of the NSComboBoxCell (col3) I want to give multiple selection option. Can I populate a list of check boxes inside NSComboBoxCell for multiple selection? If yes please give some coding tips for the same. Or should i use some other control in place of NSComboBoxCell to achieve the same. Please suggest....Regards AbhijeetGet Yourself a cool, short @in.com Email ID now!
Christiaan Hofman
2012-02-02 12:45:10 UTC
Huh? You make absolutely no sense in so many ways.

Christiaan
Abhijeet Singh
2012-02-03 06:12:37 UTC
Earlier I used to work on Windows platform. On Windows I have seen interface in that we can have list of check boxes inside combo box. So I thought I might have done something similar here. If not NSComboBoxCell please suggest how can i give multiple selection option inside NSTableView cell.... Original message From:"Christiaan Hofman"< ***@gmail.com >Date: 2 Feb 12 18:15:09Subject: Re: Multiple Selection in NSComboBoxCellTo: Cc: "macosxdev" ;"cocoadev" On Feb 2, 2012, at 12:22, Abhijeet Singh wrote:> Hi,There are 5 columns in my table view.Col1Non editable, Col2NSComboBoxCell (editable), Col3NSComboBoxCell (editable), Col4NSComboBoxCell (editable), Col5NSButtonCellMy requirement is in one of the NSComboBoxCell (col3) I want to give multiple selection option. Can I populate a list of check boxes inside NSComboBoxCell for multiple selection? If yes please give some coding tips for the same. Or should i use some other control in place of NSComboBoxCell to achieve the same
. Please suggest....Regards AbhijeetGet Yourself a cool, short @in.com Email ID now!Huh? You make absolutely no sense in so many ways.ChristiaanGet Yourself a cool, short @in.com Email ID now!
Kevin A. Sensenig
2012-02-25 02:01:51 UTC
Abhijeet,

I'm replying to you in private as well as to the list. I developed on Mac OS X and before that YellowBox (NeXT-derived precursor to Cocoa that ran on Windows NT) in the late 1990s and early 2000s. You were very clear in your question.

I don't have an answer to doing exactly what you intend here, since I haven't programmed in Cocoa for some time, and the API has been upgraded. You could probably do something with the NSControl or NSView that forms the NSItem in the combo box, to put NSSwitch (a checkbox) in that NSView. NSView is flexible and opens up the entire domain of what you can put just about anywhere on the display. So if you can get to an NSView that is part of the combo box item you can obtain multiple selections that way. That's the principle I would use as you research the API documentation. I likely have some details wrong here, but as I recall from my programming, the combo box or popup is made up of multiple NSItem or some such, and you may be able to access the NSView for this item. Then you can nest. I can't check the API currently, and I'll research this myself later.

If that doesn't work for you, I would consider re-factoring the UI for that NSTableView and its parent NSWindow. What I would do is to put the NSTableView at the top of the NSWindow and put detail controls for data entry in ***form view*** below the NSTableView. That is, the user would select a row in the NSTableView (which would not be editable) and then the user would data-enter the values in fields below, on a form layout, using standard controls. For a combo-box type entry with intended multiple selections, you could use another NSTableView instead.

I hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if I'm not clear, or if this does in fact help to clarify. And, of course, you may have gotten clarification already.

Kevin

NeXT —> NiXU