10.2.4 Stability
Steve Dekorte
2003-02-17 08:44:01 UTC
Anyone else having severe stability problems on OSX 10.2.4?

Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html
j***@att.net
2003-02-17 09:03:01 UTC
Steve,

I've had to cold restart my iBook 700 a couple of times today (it froze in the "fading pictures" screen effect, and while frozen I could ping the iBook from another box, but I couldn't ssh into it), but I attributed it to a new package (Ableton Live 2.0) I bought and installed which was running both times (I downloeded an update and installed it, i'll see if that helps). I've not compiled much on 10.2.4 yet other than ACE, and usually as part of a cron job that happens on my dual G4 every night (I check in the morning to make sure it went ok, so far it has).

However, since 10.2.4, twice when I closed the cover of my iBook 700, the thing beeped once. I've no idea why it did this. It didn't seem to affect anything, but the beep is disconcerting, only 'cuz I gather it's there for a reason, and it doesn't _always_ happen.

Regards,

John

--
Falling You - exploring the beauty
of voice and sound
Nathan Paul Simons
2003-02-17 17:19:01 UTC
Post by j***@att.net
However, since 10.2.4, twice when I closed the cover of my iBook
700, the thing beeped once. I've no idea why it did this. It
didn't seem to affect anything, but the beep is disconcerting, only
'cuz I gather it's there for a reason, and it doesn't _always_ happen.
Hmm, odd, I've never had my iBook beep when closing the lid under Mac OS
X 10.2.3 (or earlier), but it does under Linux. My best guess is that
it does that when going into power saving mode (via closing the lid) to
let you know that it is in power saving mode.
--
The more I use other operating systems, the more I like Debian GNU/Linux
http://www.debian.org/ http://www.gnu.org/ http://www.linux.org/
Steve Dekorte
2003-02-17 10:51:02 UTC
Post by j***@att.net
I've had to cold restart my iBook 700 a couple of times today (it
froze in the "fading pictures" screen effect, and while frozen I could
ping the iBook from another box, but I couldn't ssh into it), but I
attributed it to a new package...
My Desktop hasn't been working properly (have to double click on mac
icon to get a finder and desktoop items can be selected unless finder
is visible), iCal events are causing periodic crashes which bring up
console.app and ProjectBuilder has been crashing every 10 minutes or
so. (I've also installed the Dec Dev Tools)

Greg Weston
2003-02-17 11:50:01 UTC
Post by Steve Dekorte
Anyone else having severe stability problems on OSX 10.2.4?
I'm not even having mild stability problems and multiple machines.

Arun Rodrigues
2003-02-17 11:58:01 UTC
My TiBook failed to return from sleep once, and I had a period when it
wasn't recognizing USB devices (or rather, it would recovgnize them in USB
Probe, but then not seem to recieve input from them...).

Both of these events haven't happened to me before, and occured after
installing 10.2.4, but they could be unconnected.
Post by Steve Dekorte
Anyone else having severe stability problems on OSX 10.2.4?
Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html
Arun Rodrigues *
http://www.nd.edu/~arodrig6 *
-----------------------------------
j***@att.net
2003-02-17 14:00:01 UTC
Steve,

Though i've had no issues with ProjectBuilder, i've only been using it to poke around DSS code. For ACE, i'm usually building and everything from the CLI. Others have posted about problems with the Dec devtools PB, before 10.2.4 was released ... and I know that others involved in the ACE project have reported about problems with static initialization in shared libraries, some of which seem to go away if you don't use DYLD_BIND_AT_LAUNCH (but then you launch slower).

Also, if it means anything, the new version of the Live application I downloaded (2.02) has been running all night, with the fading pictures screen effect, and le iBook is still fine this morning. I've not experienced any of the weird Finder GUI problems you've described, though (again, I usually live in the CLI on OSX, though Live uses the GUI quite a lot).

Regards,

John

jim kitchen
2003-02-17 17:29:01 UTC
I have the following problems:

1. I can not access a window behind a window, without having to
touch the desktop first;
2. My keyboard access, "US", jumps back to "Canadian"...
Apple seems to think that every one in Canada uses the French
language keyboard with this setting...absolutely annoying;
3. My Textedit application now inserts characters on it's own
accord (a very strange effect...), and
4. My PB scrolling activity, is distorting my text more than ever...

Other than that, it is a great day...

jim k
Neil Brewitt
2003-02-17 20:27:05 UTC
Post by Steve Dekorte
Anyone else having severe stability problems on OSX 10.2.4?
Yup. The screensaver regularly crashes (no big trauma but must be
significant) on my iBook 600. On both that and my 1.25GHzDP MDD I've
seen the OS get into a weird state where apps take a VERY long time to
start up if at all, no obvious problems from console ps waux or top.
MDD got into a state where I could ping it but not ssh into it - it
responded to nothing but the sleep button and after about four sleep
cycles (which sometimes clears up apparently synchronous blocks on OSX
for me) died. The iBook was in sleep mode this morning but when I got
to work I could hear the drive whirring but no life out of the screen
or keyboard lights so I put it to sleep and then it didn't wake up -
just booted.

Oh, and my intellimouse still has two speeds. :)

What shall I complain about now? Finder and Dock being way too
synchronous and locking up whilst waiting for stuff? No, that would
never do - I'm supposed to be a mac *lover*. :)

Neil.

- - Neil Brewitt - Cambridge UK
- - ***@drempel.org.uk ***@mac.com
Gerd Knops
2003-02-18 07:01:02 UTC
Post by Steve Dekorte
Anyone else having severe stability problems on OSX 10.2.4?
Well, since 10.2.4 I had 2 panics, once the system lock up solid while
moving a window, and the address book data self-destructed causing AB
and Mail.app to crash during start.

And while we are at it: since 10.2 my imap inbox appears empty 9 out of
10 times I start Mail.app (and no, it is not empty), and since
10.0.4(!) all of my desktop machines will hang when waking up from
sleep. The finder's info panel is always partially obscured by the dock
(which I have on the left side due to 2 screens). All of this has been
reported to Apple, but their response is pretty much 'shrug, not here'.

Oh, a 13 month old 17" LCD Studio Display broke ($5 step up transformer
which can not be bought of the shelf, repair is supposed to cost just
under $600), and the iPod hasn't worked quite right since they came up
with the PIM crap (and the previous firmware caused skips exactly every
4 or so minutes when using wav files). And the noise of the desktop
machines is driving me nuts...

My first iBook was in repair 3 times, twice to fix things they damaged
in the previous repair. The second iBook was in repair only once... And
a friend has an iMac that never quite worked for her (continuing modem
problems).

Suffice it to say the first 14 months of my 'switch' were rough... My
previous Openstep system run without trouble for 6 years straight!

Gerd
Stéphane Sudre
2003-02-18 08:13:01 UTC
Post by jim kitchen
1. I can not access a window behind a window, without having to
touch the desktop first;
2. My keyboard access, "US", jumps back to "Canadian"...
Apple seems to think that every one in Canada uses the French
language keyboard with this setting...absolutely annoying;
3. My Textedit application now inserts characters on it's own
accord (a very strange effect...), and
4. My PB scrolling activity, is distorting my text more than
ever...
Other than that, it is a great day...
Except for the usual additional bugs added in the Finder and in the
Displays settings, no other additional bugs.
Andreas Mayer
2003-02-18 22:06:02 UTC
Post by Stéphane Sudre
Except for the usual additional bugs added in the Finder and in the
Displays settings, no other additional bugs.
Anyone noticed that Mail now uses cmd-crsrleft and cmd-crsrright to
switch quote levels instead of moving to the start and end of line?
That's terrible!

(Yes, I know that ctrl-crsr is the replacement. But IMHO that's
nonstandard.)

Not really a system issue though ..

bye. Andreas.
Mark Steinberg
2003-02-18 23:49:01 UTC
I've got a new iBook that since 10.2.4 has had many weird problems.
Eventually it would immediately sleep after startup and during startup
the screen would stay black until the actual osx blue screen progress
bar appeared. During all this time neither the trackpad or keyboard
would not work. So once it did finish booting I couldn't do anything.
A USB mouse allowed me to continue with the fixing.

I have since fixed it by doing several things....any and all of which
probably had some affect.

1. Remove battery with machine shut down. Leave A/C power plugged in.
2. Reset PowerManager.. On my iBook that is done by holding
command-option-shift-powerkey.
3, Start machine with powerbutton and hold down option-command-p-r and
let it reboot several times.
4. Start machine while holding option-command-O-F to boot into open
firmware.
5. type (without quotes) "reset-nvram" return (that is press the
return key)
6. type (without quotes "reset-all" return (that is press the return
key) Machine will now reboot.
7. When machine comes up run Disk Utility and Repair File Permissions
8. Replace battery
9. Restart
j***@att.net

9. Restart
Greg Weston
2003-02-19 11:02:01 UTC
Post by Andreas Mayer
Anyone noticed that Mail now uses cmd-crsrleft and cmd-crsrright to
switch quote levels instead of moving to the start and end of line?
That's terrible!
(Yes, I know that ctrl-crsr is the replacement. But IMHO that's
nonstandard.)
Um. No. I have not noticed that, and I'm in Mail now trying to
reproduce it. My about box says it's version 1.2.3 (v551). What've you
got? [looks at address] Hmmm. Same version but with German as the
preferred system language?
Andreas Mayer
2003-02-19 14:34:01 UTC
Same version but with German as the preferred system language?
Yes. With some help from a fellow list member, I found out that the
problem lies with the German resources.

I don't know why Apple changed those keyboard shortcuts in the menu -
maybe they thought the older key combination was a bit awkward on a
German keyboard layout.

Anyway - I changed it back in the nib file and it's working again.

I've yet to file a bug though.

bye. Andreas.
Dmitry Markman
2003-02-20 01:52:01 UTC
hi, I don't understand too much in Cocoa, so I need some help:
I try to port lwjgl package to MAc OS X
(light-weight java OpenGL)
idea is:
from gui-less java application
I have to create NSWindow, add OpenGLView
attach it to application
is it possible to do that programmatically
(I mean without nib file)?
here is what I did

some java method calls native method where I put the following code:

[NSApplication sharedApplication];
pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
unsigned int winMask = NSTitledWindowMask | NSClosableWindowMask |
NSMiniaturizableWindowMask | NSResizableWindowMask;
NSRect windowRect = NSMakeRect(100,100,width,height);
window = [[NSWindow alloc] initWithContentRect : windowRect styleMask
: winMask backing : NSBackingStoreBuffered defer : TRUE];
[window setTitle : @"title"];
NSView *contentView = [window contentView];
CC_NSOpenGLView *openGLView = [[CC_NSOpenGLView alloc] initWithFrame
: NSMakeRect(0,0,width,height)];
printf("[contentView acceptsFirstResponder] %d\n",[contentView
acceptsFirstResponder]);
[contentView addSubview : openGLView];
[window makeKeyAndOrderFront:NULL];

[NSApp run];

but in that scenario I can see my window but it's not active and
doesn't accept update events

I understand that AWT thread wasn't started so I have to do something
instead
how I can attach new window to existing application?
I tried to send makeMainWindow to my window, but it was not good:
application crashed badly

I'm , probably, fundamentally wrong but I have no idea what to do
thanks in advance
Dmitry Markman