ProjectBuilder not indexing...
Raoul Duke
2000-05-03 17:06:46 UTC
Alpha woes...

I've discovered all of a sudden that InterfaceBuilder doesn't properly
load instance variables and methods from class header files I read in.
I think this might be because ProjectBuilder isn't indexing classes
anymore, even when I purge and rebuild indices, on old projects or new.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? I'm wondering if some of the
software was corrupted upon a crash or something. If so, which packages
should I reload?

Thanks,
Raoul
Robert Gottlieb
2000-05-03 17:41:07 UTC
Post by Raoul Duke
Alpha woes...
I've discovered all of a sudden that InterfaceBuilder doesn't properly
load instance variables and methods from class header files I read in.
I think this might be because ProjectBuilder isn't indexing classes
anymore, even when I purge and rebuild indices, on old projects or new.
Has anyone encountered anything like this? I'm wondering if some of the
software was corrupted upon a crash or something. If so, which packages
should I reload?
Thanks,
Raoul
I believe (this is working on Openstep, and I believe it should on OS X Server) that
if you declare your ivars as such:

NSTextField <IBOutlet> *someField;

that InterfaceBuilder will properly read in the new ivar. I can't comment on
the methods, other than they need to be of the form:

- (void) someMethod: (id) sender;

You don't mention in your email if you are using Java or Objective-C, obviously the above example works for Objective-C.

Robert Gottlieb
***@greatergood.com
Raoul Duke
2000-05-03 18:30:33 UTC
Post by Robert Gottlieb
I believe (this is working on Openstep, and I believe it should on OS X Server) that
NSTextField <IBOutlet> *someField;
that InterfaceBuilder will properly read in the new ivar. I can't comment on
- (void) someMethod: (id) sender;
You don't mention in your email if you are using Java or Objective-C, obviously the above example works for Objective-C.
Thanks for the response, Robert. I should have mentioned I'm on Mac OS
X DP3 and Objective-C.

The problem is really strange. Neither methods as you describe above,
nor outlets of the form

id myOutlet;

are identified. In fact, the entire class doesn't get acknowledged at
all. If I drag the .h file from ProjectBuilder into the IB window with
the Instance tab displayed, it switches to the Classes tab but doesn't
put the new class in the hierarchy as it normally should. Instead it
usually just displays NSWindow or whatever the last selected object
happened to be. Besides dragging, this also fails if I use the Read
File techniques from IB. In short, it acts very ill.

Since this was working before, and since I noticed that classes and
headers weren't properly indexed in PB, I started to wonder about the
software being corrupted and not just buggy.
Raoul Duke
2000-05-12 19:11:38 UTC
Since I was asked to summarize, here's my results, for what they're
worth.

Background: I reported a situation where InterfaceBuilder wasn't
investigation, it seems IB won't recognize the class at all, even when
dragged into IB for the first time--not just upon re-reading the class.

There were many suggestions about making sure I had the proper format in
my .h file. I'm pretty sure the .h file is kosher, since I've been
drill. For some reason, it consistently chokes on this one, even when I
reduce it to something insanely elementary.

So in conclusion, I reduced this to the most basic of projects to
demonstrate what I believe is a bug, and submitted it.

Thanks for all your responses!
Raoul
Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Raphael Sebbe
2000-05-03 21:14:49 UTC
Hi,

In fact, if you don't create your ivars with InterfaceBuilder, you have to
add IBOutlet keyword as in :

IBOutlet id myTextField;

or, for action, respecting argument count and type :

-(IBAction) myAction:(id) sender;

You then have to manually reload the file in IB, by selecting the class
and then choose "Read File...", choosing the right .h .

The new outlets and actions will then be available. You have to manually
reread the .h file each time you modify it in ProjectBuilder.

Raphael Sebbe
Raoul
Raoul Duke

Raoul